PREGNANCY GENETIC CONSULTATION
Pregnancy (or prenatal) genetic consultations are offered to women and couples during their pregnancy.
Reasons for consultation:
- You are at increased risk of having a child with a chromosomal or genetic condition
- You have several markers on your prenatal ultrasound and/or abnormal serum screening results
- A fetal anomaly or multiple fetal anomalies were detected on prenatal ultrasound
- A previous pregnancy was complicated by a fetal anomaly or genetic condition
- You have a personal or family history of a genetic condition
- You have an abnormal result on NIPS/NIPT or on invasive prenatal testing (chromosome analysis or microarray)
- You have a health condition, or infection or exposure to certain medications or substances during pregnancy which may be harmful to your unborn baby.
What to expect:
Receiving news that you may be at increased risk of having a baby with a chromosomal, genetic or congenital anomaly may cause significant distress, fear and anxiety. The aim of a genetic consultation during pregnancy is to comprehensively discuss these risks, explain relevant findings or results and their implications for you and your unborn baby going forward. Dr Liani will provide you with balanced information which allows you to make informed and empowered decisions regarding your pregnancy in a non-judgemental environment.